[conspire] Alarm fatigue (was: Re: Did you guys feel the 4.2 earthquake today?)

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Wed Oct 18 20:05:20 PDT 2023

 For the alert to be useful, a decision to send it needs to be made in a fraction of a second.  Part of the calculation of magnitude is how long the shaking lasts.  So the initial guestimate will likely often be quite different from the calculation that has more data including readings from seismographs in different places.  But by then everyone who will be effected by the quake will have felt it.
This causes me to think about the time on the receiving end.  This morning, I heard a noise from my cell.  Wasn't clearly different from any random message.  Most of the time, I don't just stop whatever to read yet another message. This time, I decided I might as well see what it was. But I had no sense of urgency.   So it was quite a few seconds before I reached for the cell, ... and read the message.
When I did read the message, I took a step backward into a doorway and paused.