[conspire] I am the very model of a Scary Devil Monastery

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 3 18:32:43 PDT 2023

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> From what I hear, knowledge of the whole virtual
> machines/containers/mass-deployers (Ansible, Chef, Jenkins, etc) is
> necessary for jobs and contracts in today's software industry.

Ansible/Chef/Puppet/Saltstack["Salt"]/Terraform are configuration
management toolsets, and have strong value for managing production
systems without regard to whether VM/container/etc. environments are in
use.  Yes, being familiar with those is essential in Operations / DevOps
/ whatever-is-today's-trendy-name or adjoining fields.

Jenkins is a general-purpose automation server, not the same thing at
all.

Salt/Saltstack looks like it's going to get Oracled by Broadcom/VMware,
but maybe I'm overly cynical.  The open source community can do a
certain amount to keep the open source variants of such projects healthy
despite proprietary mishegoss, but it's not clear to me whether the
community has the desire to work hard on _multiple_ toolsets in that
manner.

If I wanted to pick a future-proofed tool, "has Broadcom/VMware all over
it" would be a major item in the "no" column for that one option.