[conspire] svlug dot com

Michael Paoli michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 19 14:54:51 PDT 2023

[Bcc: root at svlug.org]

Well, first thought that comes to mind is svlug.org ... does that have
suitable contacts,
and if so might it make logical sense to match them up?

Might I be interested/willing to volunteer for it?
Probably only if I've got at least some reasonable control or reasonable
support role over "it",
notably SVLUG domain(s)/DNS/website/email ... not necessarily all or a
whole lot,
but responsibility with zero control tends to rather suck.  ;-)
And ... possibly some other conditions/understandings too.

If/as feasible, might also be preferable to find suitable willing person(s)
that have
more history with SVLUG ... if such can be found.  I've got about zero
history with
SVLUG (certainly well know of it and such, and some of its history, but
never made
it to one of its meetings ... though was kind of interested to do so - but
was quite
inconveniently located to where I've lived and worked, and was also long
before
many LUGs also started moving or adding on-line to their meetings).

Perhaps Rick Moen might be or also be interested ... or maybe not.  Just
sort'a thinkin' history 'n all.  Looks like he does have one of the
nameservers:
$ dig +short svlug.com. NS
ns2.svlug.com.
ns1.linuxmafia.com.
$ dig @ns1.linuxmafia.com. +noall +answer +nottl +nosplit +nomultiline
svlug.com. SOA
svlug.com.              IN      SOA     ns1.svlug.com. root.svlug.org.
2021111200 43200 7200 2419200 900
$ dig @ns2.svlug.com. +nottl +nosplit +nomultiline svlug.com. SOA | fgrep
-i fail
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 13078
$
And the other nameserver would appear to not be functional for the domain.
Well ... I could at least offer secondary nameserver(s) if that's desired
... but would also need
relevant contact(s) information before agreeing on that.  I can probably
think of some additional
person(s) that would be willing to do that too, so could easily enough
bring the functional nameservers
up to at least 3 (minimum per RFCs and such) or more (max recommended would
probably be about 7).
And I'm guessing/presuming that despite the SOA data, ns1.linuxmafia.com.
is currently primary for svlug.com. DNS?
Does that SOA RNAME (email) contact even work? ... MX --> A/AAAA ... I find
two IPs ... one of which is open on TCP port 25.
If it does accept email, does it go to a functional contact?  (Bccing here)

Anyway, I've more-or-less "adopted" some moderate spattering of LUGs and
such (at least much of the
technical administration thereof) that have otherwise been semi-abandoned
or weren't much or
particularly being maintained or lost leader(s), etc.
E.g. BALUG.org, BerkeleyLUG.com, SF-LUG.org (SF-LUG.org. domain + web, but
not list - Rick Moen hosts/maintains list), etc.

And, another possible worthy consideration for svlug.COM - if (and notably
historically) that's been non-canonical / non-primary,
might possibly consider just dropping it, while well retaining svlug.ORG
domain.  I know some/many LUGs have gone that
route - choosing to have only one, or only one be canonical, and sometimes
dropping (or generally never even acquiring)
any non-canonical/non-primary domains.  Perhaps some folks have more
historical knowledge on that?  archive.org may also
provide some relevant data.  As far as my notes/records go, it seems to
indicate svlug.ORG ... maybe this is even the first mention
I've heard of (at least that I remember) of svlug.COM domain.  Uhm, quick
peek at svlug.COM on archive.org seems to imply
svlug.ORG as canonical or primary.
Keep in mind also, (mostly?) long gone are the days when some major
browsers would
simply presume .com TLD if one didn't type in the TLD.  I haven't seen that
(mis)feature for
some years now, and haven't seen it as prevalent in ... decade(s) now?