[conspire] Website biggotry: was Using Linux with AT&T internet service.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jun 16 22:41:24 PDT 2023

Rick Moen said on Fri, 16 Jun 2023 20:15:07 -0700

>Notice that nothing about this is OS-specific at all.
>

>But, as I mentioned, this "You must use only these operating systems"
>con-job has been an irritant all through the history of Internet
>Service Providers, and in just about all cases proves upon examination
>to mean "We want to you to do $THING because it's convenient to us,
>but no, that isn't actually necessary at all.  We just lie and mislead
>in our documentation, and the scripts that our tech support people are
>required to read from."

True story. My bank, Fifth Third Bank, has web banking, so I got it set
up and went to work. Well, tried to. It didn't work on either Firefox
or Chromium.

So then, just as a Hail Mary, I went on a Windows computer and the web
banking worked perfectly with both Firefox and Chrome.

So let me get this straight: Somehow, whether by accident or on
purpose, Fifth Third found a way to deduce my OS and if it is Linux,
refused to work with the same browsers it works with in Linux. Slick!!!!

LOL, I've been trying for a year to get out of Fifth Third and move all
my banking to Trustco, a spectacularly wonderful bank, but I keep
getting caught up not being able to redirect incoming and outgoing
autopayments. Ugh!

SteveT

Steve Litt