[conspire] (forw) [sf-lug] (OT) HTTP response codes (was: 405 Method Not Allowed nginx Reverse Proxy)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 28 12:38:37 PDT 2023

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:56:50 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
Subject: [sf-lug] (OT) HTTP response codes (was: 405 Method Not Allowed
	nginx Reverse Proxy)

Quoting Michael Paoli (michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):

> My suggestion would be to work it out in virtual machine(s) (VM(s)).

Just a brief interjection for S.F. Peninsula geek humour:  My house is
in suburban West Menlo Park, at the bottom end of San Mateo County, and
thus there's been a family running gag of referring to US-101 exit
numbers as if they were HTTP response codes.  Bay-wards from  us is Exit
Not Found (Willow Road, Menlo Park, exit 404) -- so numbered because
it's 404 miles north of US-101's south terminus in downtown Los Angeles.

Immediately south of that is Forbidden Exit (University Ave., Palo Alto,
exit 403).  And, of course, Payment Required Exit (Embarcadero Road /
Oregon Expressway, Palo Alto, exit 402).  Which, given Palo Alto real
estate prices, sure.

Sadly, there is no Method Not Allowed Exit (exit 405), because the next
freeway interchange north from Willow Road is _two_ miles onwards, Marsh
Road, Menlo Park, exit 406 -- which is thus Not Acceptable Exit.

Further north through the suburbs of San Mateo County are:

o  Request Timeout Exit:  Woodside Rd. / Seaport Blvd., Redwood City (exit 408)
o  Conflict Exit:  Whipple Ave., Redwood City (exit 409)
o  Length Required Exit:  Holly St. / Redwood Shores Pkwy, San Carlos (exit 411)
o  Precondition Failed Exit:  Ralston Ave. / Marine Parkway, Belmont (exit 412)
o  URI Too Long Exit:  CA-92 / Hillsdale Blvd., San Mateo (exit 414)
o  Unsupported Media Type Exit:  Kehoe Ave., San Mateo (exit 415)
o  Expectation Failed Exit:  Dore Ave., SM (exit 417) -- my pick of the lot
o  Misdirected Request Exit:  Millbrae Ave., Millbrae (exit 421)
o  Unprocessable Content Exit:  San Francisco Int'l Airport (exit 422)
o  Locked Exit:  I-380 / San Bruno Ave., San Bruno (exit 423)
o  Failed Dependency Exit:  South Airport Blvd., SSF (exit 424)
o  Exit Too Early:  Grand Ave., SSF (exit 425)

Sorry, no, there is no 418 I'm a Teapot exit.

Henceforth, Dore Ave., San Mateo will forever be Expectation Failed,
to me.  (It's a sad story.)