[conspire] canning

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Jul 24 00:17:31 PDT 2023

 What tools you have depends on how much (or how little) space you have for storing gadgets you seldom use.   Trade that off with your tolerance of close encounters with boiling water.  I'm glad to have a jar lifter for qt jars.  General purpose kitchen tongs can be adequate for smaller jars.
Now let me back upand say how I learned about the website in the earlier email.

Pretty much everycounty has a Master Gardener Program. Volunteers who have completeda training program have access to information from UC Davis and UCRiverside and make it available so ordinary folks can grow tomatoesand other things. In the spring in San Mateo County, they have aplant sale offering a variety of tomato plants.

In parallel withthat, is the Master Preservers Program. In San Mateo County theypartner with the library to have monthly classes. Free, but you haveto register to get the Zoom info.

Several universitiesacross the country did actual scientific research in temperature andacid level etc and prepared the guide lines that are posted by theUSDA. Yes you can home process non-acid foods like green beans ifyou follow the directions which include a pressure cooker. Oh, thereare a number of recipes for pickles that include the processingprocedure.

NationalCenter for Food Preservation

I tried to get theURL for the San Mateo course, but the website wouldn’t load. Maybethey put in a filter and found I was past the county line.
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 11:46:48 PM PDT, Syeed Ali <syeedali at syeedali.com> wrote:

 On Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:40:57 -0700

> Quoting Josef Grosch (jgrosch at gmail.com):
>
> > The two items that you should by is the jar handling tool and
> > the canning funnel.
>
> I'm cheap, so have never bought either.

Hey everyone, gift ideas for Rick!

----

I recommend tools for anything involving heat, glass, or anything
that's hard to clean up (like spices).  Canning tools are essential for
people with inconsistent dexterity or strength.  I'd recommend them for
beginners if only for confidence.

Canning is on my long list of things to do (and I even bought lots of
little jars), but I also want to get into pickling and maybe even
fermenting.  I think a lot of their skills are shared.