[conspire] no audio to headphone

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat Jul 8 11:37:50 PDT 2023

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Yes, be _very_ careful about following online advice that used to apply,> but may now be useless or actively harmful.
Exactly.  That is why I stopped and asked for advice.
On some other occasions, I have found old complicated advice about how to do something, but newer releases had greatly simplified things.  All I needed was to know what command to use.
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
> I call Pulseaudio the land of a thousand mutes.
> I haven't used Ubuntu for a decade, but on most distros you can get rid> of Pulseaudio, install ALSA, and use alsamixer to control device> volumes.
Meanwhile, I have been consulting with a ham friend who had similar issues.  She is using Debian.  Her advise was to remove pulse and use alsamixer.
The only functionality is to output audio on the connector usually used for headphones.  A volume control on the computer side is a plus, but not necessary.
BTW, I had a similar problem with Windoz.  A rather obscure control panel had output set to 0.