[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 6 20:30:04 PDT 2023

I wrote:

> Predictably, it's the 4GB RAM that's going to be the real limiting
> factor for desktop Linux.  Also, the Celeron N3060, a low-end dual-core
> SoC for notebooks, clocked at 1.6 to 2.48 GHz and part of the Intel
> Braswell platform, would be pretty iff-y for modern GNOME or KDE.

I'm a little behind the times on mass-market Desktop Environments for
desktop Linux, but, last I heard, popular non-KDE, non-GNOME choices
(with lower hardware resource requirements) included

LXQt
XFCE4 (aka Xfce)
Cutefish
Moksha Desktop

Yes, yes, yes, there are also others.  And before anyone mentions that
LXDE is still alive:  I would disrecommend picking it in 2023, because the
underlying graphics toolkits (gtk2 and gtk3) have been EOLed for quite a
few years, and also were from GNOME developers who have proven to be
hostile to anything non-GNOME -- which is why LXDE was orphaned and LXQt
created to replace it.

And yes, DEs are not necessary, either, and it's perfectly functional to
just have a window manager and no DE.  But I'll assume for discussion's
sake that Elise is a DE-leaning user.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

I note that Linux Mint still ships an Xfce flavour.
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=304
One could do worse.

LXQt desktop distros for x86_64:
https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Desktop&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=LXQt&architecture=x86_64&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

Xfce, ditto:
https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Desktop&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=Xfce&architecture=x86_64&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

Distrowatch doesn't know about Cutefish or Moksha Desktop.

Cutefish is provided by CutefishOS, an Ubuntu variant.
https://cutefish-ubuntu.github.io

Moksha Desktop is provided by Bodhi Linux, also an Ubuntu variant.
https://www.bodhilinux.com/moksha-desktop/