[conspire] meet.jit.si change (re: initial room creation)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Aug 26 14:33:43 PDT 2023

A change:  Initial _creation_ (opening) of a room on public Jitsi Meet
demonstration instance "meet.jit.si" now requires login authentication
using a Google Account _or_ a Facebook account _or_ a GitHub account.
I've just verified this.  Authentication is _not_ required for joining a
room once it's been opened.

Folks wanting to avoid that extra step can, of course, do so easily by
standing up their _own_ Jitsi Meet instances, which isn't difficult
(and it's all open source).

This change is honestly overdue, because (as the blog post says) abusers
of the meet.jit.si instance have been noxious and difficult for
sponsoring firm 8x8, Inc. (the Jitsi Meet developers) to deal with.