[conspire] (forw) Re: [SB] Linux BPF-usingI malware

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 13 11:30:31 PDT 2022

----- Forwarded message from Brian C via Sb <sb at mailman.lug.org.uk> -----

Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 23:44:18 +1200
From: Brian C via Sb <sb at mailman.lug.org.uk>
To: Birmingham Linux User Group <sb at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Cc: Brian C <sblug at iopen.co.nz>
Subject: [SB] Linux BPF-usingI malware

Evening all, (Yup, Friday evening here.)

It's currently getting a lot of attention and those of you who run
Internet-exposed Linux machines, but haven't yet heard, might be
interested :

> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/bpfdoor-stealthy-linux-malware-bypasses-firewalls-for-remote-access/

Yes, iptables can't block traffic to it.

The major risk is from unprivileged users being able to do BPF-related
things.  Recent kernels have a flag to address that :
> /proc/sys/kernel/unprivileged_bpf_disabled

Recent kernels have it disabled by default.  In AL8 it's set to 1, and
in Fedora 35 it's 2.

It appears that a simple way to detect the malware is the presence of
one or more 'extra' iptables redirect rules.

I doubt that we're vulnerable, but I'm considering writing a script to
compare the set of iptables rules found with the set of rules in the
firewall setup script.  Run quite often by cron, and generating an alert
email if they differ.

Related: On (at least) servers I always disable firewalld, so that
iptables -nvL {-t nat}  shows the complete story.

--Brian