[conspire] nytimes onion support (was: How Democracies Spy on Their Citizens | The New Yorker)

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Sun May 1 19:12:48 PDT 2022

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:20:23 -0700

> Here's a companion piece, from _NY Times_, about how firms including
> the _second_-nosiest corporation in the world (Google) are spying on
> users:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/06/technology/online-tracking-privacy.html

An unrelated curiosity..

My browser (Brave) supports onion addresses.  I recently configured it
to automatically open onion addresses in a private/onion window.
Visiting the above URL opened such a TOR window to this address:

https://www.nytimesn7cgmftshazwhfgzm37qxb44r64ytbb2dj3x62d2lljsciiyd.onion/2022/04/06/technology/online-tracking-privacy.html

.. and the original https URL opened in the regular browser instance.

Even more curious to me is that the .onion in it's TOR/private window
didn't actually have any content loaded.  It was a tab with the
URL in the location bar and without any attempt to visit a page;
something like pressing control-t and typing a URL but not hitting
enter.

All of this is simultaneously neat and dumb to me.