[conspire] Aeroflot Leaving Miami and the Future of Russian Aviation

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:36:07 PDT 2022

On 3/20/22 12:34, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2022, at 12:02 PM, Josef Grosch wrote:
>> The embargo has stopped and/or slowed the availability of vacuum tubes
>> AKA valves used in guitar amplifiers. Turns out that most tubes today
>> are made in Russia. The Chinese factory that made tubes burned down
>> recently and the Slovakia company has a lead time to manufacture of 6
>> months. The price of 6L6 or a 12ax7 is going through the roof, check
>> ebay its just nuts. I saw a listing last week for a NOS Mullard
>> something, I don't remember the model, for $900.00. It's a pity that
>> vacuum tubes have become such a niche market that no American company
>> can justify the manufacture of tubes.
>>
>> https://www.musicradar.com/news/tube-amp-shortage-ehx-russia
> NO ONE says "valve rectifier" like Colin at CS Guitars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8xs3cJk8M
>
> Thanks for the suggestion to pick up some extra tubes for the Blues Jr, though they seem to be inobtanium except for vintage right now. NOS 1950s ones are available for the "right" price, though.
>
> I also forgot to mention about the germanium parts: they were made in the US ages ago, but silicon caught on and was more economical/cleaner. But the Soviets kept making germanium for far longer, hence the relative availability in supply today for small ventures like boutique guitar pedals.
>
> I assume something similar's going on with vacuum tubes.
>
> Deirdre

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/exclusive-western-electric-confirms-plans-tube-georgia-factory-crisis/?fbclid=IwAR38LXsjoTcsp0TGExJggPGURvol06n1ZiOY-xVUy-JA5jwN5-oXsQCeIDg

I guess this means that we will not have to spend the first Sunday of
each month scouring the Alameda Flea Market looking for NOS tubes for
our guitar amplifiers. Of course the article does not say anything about
a timeline but it sounds like the ramp-up time is going to be short.This
is the probability one of a few good things to come out of the war in
Ukraine. That motherfucker, Putin, has woken up an American manufacture
to the fact that there are people standing in line, ready to throw money
at them, for quality  American made vacuum tubes.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch            | Another day closer |
jgrosch at MooseRiver.com  | to Redwood Heaven  | Berkeley, Ca.