[conspire] A certain sort of immortality

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 12 19:32:35 PDT 2022

Josh Brendan Neal was a good friend and co-worker of mine, a talented and
flexible technical guy, full of surprises, and for a brief while,
ostensibly my immediate boss at VA Linux Systems.  (I say "ostensibly"
because a sleazebag upper manager had tried to fool Josh with the
trick of trying to convince him he was a "manager" without granting
any control whatsoever over either budget or personnel, i.e., it was a
pure con job.  Josh was grateful that I warned him about this signs of
this management headgame of responsibility without authority.)

In the latter years of his life, Josh lived in ParkMerced, San Francisco.

On December 19, 2007, Josh was walking along the sidewalk near his
townhouse, when he unexpectedly fell to the ground, dead of an
unsuspected brain aneurism.  Josh was 33 years old.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/modestobee/name/joshua-neal-obituary?id=24291333

I almost literally inherited his Internet domain unixmercenary.net and
his Twitter account @unixmercenary (gifts from his family after I helped
wind up his affairs), and have monitored his former e-mailbox for, now,
fifteen years, just because people matter and ought not to just
disappear mysteriously, e.g., it would be sad if one of Josh's friends
wrote to josh at unixmercenary.net, suddenly got no answer, and never knew
what happened.

And, well, personally written, personally aimed "Josh, I'm trying to
reach you" attempts haven't happened, but the weirdest damned other
stuff goes on and on.  Below, please find the latest -- a _matchmaking_
offer, special, personal, private, just for Josh.

Yes, I did unsubscribe this one.  It's just too sad and weird.

----- Forwarded message from It's Just Lunch San Francisco <matchmaker at ijlsf.com> -----