[conspire] Or secure boot, or ... Re: 64-bit hardware, UEFI ... maybe the UEFI is 32-bit? Re: Michael Paoli to be @ CABAL ... RE: CABAL ... Debian "blind" install: RE: (forw) issue encountered during installation

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 24 21:24:09 PDT 2022

So ... after the last BALUG.org meeting 2022-07-19
https://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-announce/2022-July/000321.html
Rick Moen and I were discussing (okay, small meeting - turned out
just Rick and I showed up) ... and
also wee bit of conversation at today's BerkeleyLUG.com meeting
Tom Lopes and I briefly discussed (not so tiny a meeting, but far
from huge) ... anyway, reviewed bit of thoughts and possibilities
more recently discussed and such.
So ... since speech isn't working (may or may not be trivial work-around)
when booting the multi-arch ISO, might be useful to troubleshoot/isolate:
Try the i386 ISO - probably the netboot + non-free firmware one.
Just try a simple near to entirely default install from that, and
bare bones minimal (deselect everthing at the tasksel stage).
If that not only installs fine, but also boots and functions,
with speech 'n all that, that would eliminate secure boot as being
a probable issue, and would make it more likely issue is 32-bit UEFI
on 64-bit hardware.
If that's the case, there may well be ways of dealing with that and getting
speech working and all.
One possibility would be figure out how to fix or work-around the
multi-arch speech issue - should then likely be able to install fine
from that - with 64-bit operating system, but with it automagically
detecting 32-bit UEFI and installing the requisite 32-bit package(s)
for that.

Another ugly but feasible hack.  It's possible to cross-grade Debian from
32-bit to 64-bit.  Not a supported operation, and not exactly trivial,
but it mostly "just works".  I (and others) have fairly well documented
the process, e.g.:
https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading
But on a host with 32-bit UEFI, would want to be careful to
not switch the UEFI package(s) that need be 32-bit to work with
the hardware, while changing all other binary packages to 64-bit.

Was hoping I'd get to look at it further this weekend or earlier,
but have been relatively buried under other stuff at present (things
probably get more sane in a week or two when I'm hopefully more caught
up and have more wiggle room and space on my schedule).

Anyway, though I'd at least share some of our thoughts on it, at least
up to current.  I also haven't searched relevant Debian bug reports, or
asked on IRC ... so maybe there's an easy work-around for the issue with
speech on the multi-arch ISO ... or some other fairly easy way of dealing
with that situation.

Anyway, I'll update as relevant when I find more significant/useful
information of relevance.

Oh, another thought that comes to mind - might also try just the
straight 64-bit (amd64) + non-free firmware on the actual penultimate
target hardware - quite possible that hardware doesn't have same
issue/complication, and it may just install fine there.  Perhaps try
a basic minimal default install first - see if that works ... and if so,
then reinstall - on the 2nd pass, doing more of the customizations one
wants, notably LUKs encryption, partition/filesystem layout and such,
otherwise still probably go for quite minimal - especially the tasksel
step - then once that's all installed and updated, then invoke tasksel
to select desired categories to install (e.g. standard tools), and after
that proceed to install any additional desired packages.

If the target network location has lockdown by MAC address, that can be
determined early in process - even from booted install ISO itself.
And if it's fairly straight-forward proxy configuration needed for most
of the relevant Internet access - notably to download software - that's
also fairly easy to configure at install time.

Anyway, might just happen to be much simpler on the penultimate hardware
if that hardware isn't giving us these install glitches.