[conspire] Mikey Mouse copyright

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Wed Jul 20 12:48:10 PDT 2022

As a Canadian..

On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 20:17:27 +0000 (UTC)
"paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:

> The current copyright law provides 95 years of protection.  Mikey
> Mouse will expire in 2024. Wonder how Disney react?

The Berne Convention makes it death+50 in most places

From what I understand for us it's presently currently copyright to
death+70 and sound recordings to death+75 years and that was from recent
negotiations.

It's not my wheelhouse but I got a laugh out of some research.

In America it's called USMCA (United States–Mexico–Canada
Agreement)

In Canada it's called CUSMA (Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement)

Why?  I don't know.

2020-01-19 - Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Intergovernmental
Affairs Chrystia Freeland introduced CUSMA implementation bill C-4

It passed first reading without a recorded vote.

2020-02-06

It passed second reading in the House of Commons 275 to 28.

2020-02-27 - The Standing Committee on International Trade voted to send
the bill to the full House for third reading, without amendments.

A hilarious copy-paste.

2020-03-13 - The House of Commons passed bill C-4 to implement
CUSMA before suspending itself for 6 weeks due to the COVID-19
pandemic.  Due to the "extraordinary circumstances", the third and final
reading of the bill was deemed to be approved without a recorded vote,
as part of an omnibus adjournment motion unanimously approved by all
members present.

Without a recorded vote.

"All members present" as in not all members were present.  Notably Prime
Minister Justin Trudeau was not present because COVID reasons.  He
was fine, but maybe he was there by Zoom or whatever; probably not.

Ahem, a copy-paste:

On the same day, the Senate passed first, second, and third readings of
the bill without recorded votes, and Governor General Julie Payette
granted it the Royal Assent and it became law, thus completing Canada's
ratification of the legislation.

Without recorded votes.

How aren't votes recorded?  Democracy is kinda optional if you don't
look too hard.

So hey, we're all on board for copyright until the death of the
corporation + 5-7 business days.