[conspire] CABAL ... Debian "blind" install: RE: (forw) issue encountered during installation

Duncan MacKinnon duncan at humanriver.org
Sat Jul 9 15:40:20 PDT 2022

I may be late getting to virtual attendance just as I am late in
commenting.  First Westercon in Tonapah and then my unplanned winding up
attending 6 days of this years Mensa AG where I now sit.

I had wanted to suggest downloading a copy of Klaus Knopper's Knoppix.
Klaus' wife Adrian is blind and he has built in her honor a variant called
"Adrian" that works out of the box on most hardware, more than Knoppix
itself (A distro with more than the kitchen sink in it, it includes the
whole kitchen).

"Adrian" is also a boot option for booting the live from DVD Knoppix distro
but the pure "Adrian" version worked better in my experiments a few years
ago. There are also scripts that can be used to install the distro to a HD.

Originally based on Red Hat it has been Debian based for a long time (Long
ago, I spent hours encouraging him to switch to Debian at Cebit in Germany).

Sometimes tricky on booting is finding "=" sign on a default German
keyboard mapping, even when your live booted "English" version download
keeps coming up with a German keyboard.

Handy also is in versions around 5.0 or 5.5 (IFIRC) where there is an
optional to easily start a PXE server to allow any/another computer on your
local network to run another instance of Knoppix.  I think that version was
before "Adrian" but that could be remedied.

Even if you choose to install a regular Debian and then add in the audio
speaking packages, undoubtably a worthwile learning process, I would
encourage you at least try Adrian in order to refine your expectations and
investigate how it's put together when it's in a working state.

Best,
@