[conspire] COVID at the end of 2021

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Jan 1 03:36:55 PST 2022

On 31Dec2021 11:50pm (-0800), Rick Moen wrote:
> USA-wide view:  A birds-eye view of how the USA as a _whole_ came to be
> screwed, right now, can be read in this Twitter stream:
> https://twitter.com/cha_myoung/status/1474293040659374082
> In short:  The USA has at no point done the parts that actually work,
> such as real contact-tracing and large-scale testing.  And, we may
> remain screwed unless/until that happens.

The official response to this crisis reminds me of nothing so much as WW1 generals continuing to send cavalry straight into machine gun fire, refusing to accept that the world had changed in any way since they last fought in the field.

I feel that Max Planck's observations about physics progressing "funeral by funeral" could be applied to any number of leadership positions.