[conspire] (forw) Re: Reminder: 2022 Solvang Century

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 7 01:58:06 PST 2022

Further to that, if you browse around https://planetultra.com/ , you
find all sorts of additional signs of severely bad attitude.  Just a
few:

1.  Despite their being a for-profit corporation (in St. George, Utah)
operating across three western states, these guys beg for volunteer help
all over their Web site.  Guys, are you a charity or not?  Pick a lane.

2.  The "Personal SAG Vehicles" prohibition on
https://planetultra.com/info/ is more than a little jackbooted:

  Personal SAG Vehicles

  Not allowed without prior approval! If you bring one, you will be
  disqualified from the event without a warning. The definition of a
  personal SAG is any vehicle (motor or otherwise), anywhere on the route,
  operated by someone other than Planet Ultra staff, that is providing any
  type of aid, assistance, or motivation to any rider, or taking
  photographs, or simply out cheering.

So, if one of my friends is standing at the corner of Alisal Road and
Highway 246 in front of Solvang's Hans Christian Andersen Museum, none
of which Planet Ultra, Inc. paid for, and waves at me to encourage me
on my ride, Planet Ultra has a problem with that?  I'm sorry, but who
put _you_ in charge of the public road system, not to mention municipal
sidewalks?

Just no.  Fsck you.

3.  Riders are _required_ to check-in at all stops along the official
route, are required to carry cellular 'phones, and are required to
telephone in and account for themselves if they decide, say, to take a
slightly different route because they damned well feel like it, and
because these are public roads.

I gather that this sort of nonsense is what bicycling _racers_ put up
with, but, frankly, screw _all_ that sideways with a barge-pole.  On the
plus side, any future recreational bicycle ride I take that is not near
these persons will be all the sweeter.