[conspire] Happy 31st birthday, Freax^W Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 25 22:46:29 PDT 2022

It was Ari Lemmke who eventually suggested the term "Linux"
for Linus Torvalds's kernel effort.  Torvalds wanted to call it
Freax, for Free Unix.  Because Lemmke administered the first hosting
(ftp server nic.funet.fi), the tarball got the name Lemmke wanted.

Anyway...

On August 25th 1991, Torvalds mentioned his unassuming,
never-will-amount-to-much, then-unnamed hobby, on the comp.os.minix
newsgroup: