[conspire] (forw) Re: Email( spoofing)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 19 19:25:33 PDT 2022

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> I figured if Caller ID said "Unavailable", it probably wasn't anyone I
> knew or wanted to talk to, but they kept calling all afternoon.

I don't know if "Unavailable" is always thus defined, but note that
whenever my mother-in-law Cheryl, who specifically disables outgoing
CallerID in her telco account setup, calls me, that's what I see.

A brief search suggests that "Unavailable" is basically interchangeable
with identifiers "Unknown Caller", "Unknown", "Restricted", "No
Caller ID", "Masked Call", "Private Caller", "Private", and "Withheld".
There are nuances to this -- but I don't have anywhere near enough
interest to chase those down, because the larger point is that CallerID
is just unreliable by design, and IMO that's all that matters.