[conspire] (forw) Re: [Golugtech] Fw: [Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Apr 22 12:02:31 PDT 2022

Rick Moen writes:
> What Chappa's saying is that you guys who depend on _vendors_ to sell
> you "mail services" accessible using IMAP/SMTP may have a longer-term
> problem if the various mail providers decide they'd rather coax you into
> using Web stuff instead, and cease to offer services to users at the
> IMAP/SMTP ports.

I run my own mail server, so I'm not dependent on Google for getting
mail. But I do have a gmail account that I use for Google Groups,
since GG doen't work well with non-gmail addresses. That means I
have to use Google's SMTP server when I post to google groups.
I currently use msmtp, password authenticated. Reading the alpine
discussion gave me the push to try switching to OAuth2.

So I just spent about half a day flailing away at that, with no success.
But the problem has nothing to do with paying for app verification;
it's more to do with Google's old scripts and documentation that
haven't been updated as they changed the server side.

But assuming you can get some access tokens (the step that
consistently fails for me), at least for now, if you're just trying
to use let a small number of users use gmail, it seems you can leave
your app in development mode (don't click Publish), set yourself up
as a test user, and not need app verification.

        ...Akkana