[conspire] Third-party (IMAP4, SMTP, OAUTH2) code access to GMail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 20 15:51:11 PDT 2022

For year, I've been hearing that Google's been putting more and
more technical obstacles in the way of using your own mail client
as your interface for a GMail account.  I honestly don't care much;
GMail can live or die and I really don't care how its users are
mistreate and why.

Old-school mail-client access is IMAP4 (downwards) and SMTP (upwards),
with any of a variety of authentication mechanisms.  The progressive
_technical_ difficulty for (specifically) GMail turns out to be Google's
implementation of the IETF "OAuth 2.0" (crypto token) authentication
suite, popular for trendy implementations of "single sign on".  Google's
extra-sauce implementation of OAuth 2.0 is called XOAUTH2 -- covered
here, and basically their way of wrapping OAuth 2.0 tokens into IMAP:
https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/xoauth2-protocol

But what's news to me, in the following posting to the "alpine-info"
mailing list for the Alpine mail client (the modern rewrite of the Pine
mailer) is -- hullo! -- it is claimed Google, Inc. is also requiring a
(claimed but not _quite_ accurate --  investigated below) US $75,000 fee
to Google to "verify" any app (such as fetchmail) that wants to do this.

Below is archived at
http://mailman12.u.washington.edu/pipermail/alpine-info/2022-April/001162.html

Why an OAuth 2.0 implementation?  GMail is a _huge_ target for scammers
of various sorts, e.g., for phishing and other online crime, so Google's
insistence on strong authentication is just common sense.

I tracked down the "$75,000/year" thing to
https://support.google.com/cloud/answer/9110914#zippy=%2Csteps-to-prepare-for-verification%2Csteps-to-submit-your-app%2Csecurity-assessment
:

  Every app that requests access to restricted scope Google user’s data
  and has the ability to access data from or through a third party server
  is required to go through a security assessment from Google empanelled
  security assessors. This assessment helps keep Google users’ data safe
  by verifying that all apps that access Google user data demonstrate
  capability in handling data securely and deleting user data upon user
  request. In order to maintain access to restricted scopes, the app will
  need to undergo this security assessment on an annual basis, this
  process is called the security reassessment, also known as annual
  recertification. The cost of the assessment typically varies between
  $10,000 -$75,000 (or more) depending on the size and complexity of the
  application; smaller applications may see costs at a lower threshold of
  $4,500. This fee may be required whether or not your app passes the
  assessment and will be payable by the developer. We expect that fees
  will include a remediation assessment if needed.

Following a link from there to "How long is the security assessment
valid for?":

  Apps accessing restricted scopes are required to reverify their app
  for compliance and complete a security assessment every 12 months from
  your Google LOA approval date to keep access to any verified restricted
  scopes. If your app is adding a new restricted scope, your app might
  need to be reassessed to cover the additional scope if it was not
  included in a prior security assessment.

  The Google review team will reach out to you via email once it’s time
  for your app to recertify. Keeping your Project Owner and Project Editor
  information up-to-date in your Cloud Console will ensure the right
  members of your team are notified of this annual enforcement.

{shrug}  Bottom line:  Them Googley people basically don't really _want_
you to use third-party mail apps for GMail, and are passive-aggressive
in saying so.

Easist solution:  Don't outsource your key personal computing to the
second-nosiest corporation in the world.  Problem solved.  Somehow, the
planet will continue to rotate, and the alleged threat to open source
turns out to not exist.

Proprietary hosted software company being asshats.  Shocked, shocked!