[conspire] People failing to learn about package gatekeeping, part 1

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Apr 18 04:04:27 PDT 2022

On 4/18/22 03:02, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
>
>> As a developer I'm a user myself.
>
> But (without objection), the particular needs of a developer for a very
> specific software environment are often an edge-case.

The really hard problem to solve is that software not only get written,
but it also get used. And that's scary.

Setting up a VM doesn't solve the dependency problem and the mismatch of
speed between packages inside a distribution and software needs.

Tools like composer, npm etc... do have a legitimate use case even
outside development environments. They serve other goals compared to
distributions.

But you've to take into account the tool, the community, the
infrastructure and the developer picking up a dependency.

Some of these "tools" are "young", some of them were used in a specific
way (community, infrastructure, audience) and changed and they haven't
had time to adapt and then you have bad developers too.

People are getting more aware of these kind of problems, some just
prefer to ignore them till they blow into their face.

Considering no one is putting money into "self hosted services" I'm not
surprised of the state of affairs and somehow I'm surprised some things
are getting bearable...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net