[conspire] Ecuador hats

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 16 11:11:29 PDT 2022

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Thanks for the info.  Yes, I remember a while ago you were showing
> your "Panama" hat at a CABAL and said that a second one was to be
> delivered soon.

In fact, I just got through reviewing my side of the e-mail conversation
with Panama Bob (of Fort Wayne, IN), and, have to say, his failing to
deliver is even more clear than I suggested.

  PB:  Hi. Rick.   Things are just slow out of Cuenca lately. I can
  sub in a Montecristi and it will just be a couple of weeks that way.

  Me:  That'd be terrific, and thanks for the news bulletin.  I hope you
  are having a happy and prosperous new year!

  Me:  Hi, there!  Checking again, after your offer of seven weeks ago,
  which I was glad to accept via return e-mail the same day.  (This was
  the order I placed and paid for, a bit over four months back.)
  Please advise about status.  Thanks!

  PB:  I'm having trouble getting anything your size. Can I send a "mea
  culpa" hat out to you until the Optimo comes in? Gratis....the least
  I can do.

  Me:  Hi, Robert!  Thanks very much for the note.  It's really nice of you
  to offer a mea-culpa hat while we're waiting.  I do understand about
  difficulty filling orders for unusual sizes, and this is just one of
  those things.  Good things sometimes require waiting.  I'd be really
  delighted to also receive the mea-culpa hat _if_ I can send you with my
  compliments a couple of jars of my homemade plum jam from my garden, as
  token of appreciation.  (Just let me know a ship-to address.) Every
  summer, around July 4th, I make dozens of low-sugar natural plum jam
  from the five trees on my home lot in Menlo Park, California.

So, in short, the "mea culpa" hat (that is perfectly nice) arrived in
due course, but the hat I ordered never did.

> A website promoted them as being perfect for a beach resort.  You
> said, "Can be rolled up, but don't"    I was thinking how I would get
> them to the resort if I wasn't driving to Cancun.

When flying, I put my knapsack in the airplane overhead compartment, and
my hat on top of it.  One must keep a wary eye on other passengers, to
make sure they don't stupidly clobber it.

There are (genuine) Panama Hats that are claimed to be designed for
rolling up without damaging them, but I'm not sure I'd trust that claim.
It sounds dubious.

> For travel, I will stay with the less stylish, cloth hats from
> Columbia.

I have learned to utterly love my plain ol' cotton-weave floppy hat,
with chin strap to prevent the wind from catching its brim and sailing
it away (strap looped behind my neck when not in use).

> https://sundayafternoons.com/collections/mens  has a series of
> "adventure" hats that provide superior shade for the back of the head
> and neck.

Yes, just like that.