[conspire] Stolen election narratives, CA edition

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 17:47:44 PDT 2021

On 9/19/21 2:20 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

[ DELETED ]

> The notion of using _that_ form of ballot harvesting to "rig" an
> election seems... impractical?  I mean, how does it work?  Do
> I put up a folding table outside the Save the Baby Seals Club
> with a sign saying "Hi, please entrust your treehugger bleeding heart
> liberal ballots to me.  Trust me, I'll take your ballots to an official
> dropbox."  And then, having collected 500 envelopes, and wishing to skew
> the mayoral election in favour of Generalissimo Francisco Franco, I
> go home and create a cheery ballot bonfire?  Is that it?   I mean,
> sure, there are always gullible people, but it seems something of a
> self-limiting problem, and not a useful machine-politics tactic, on
> balance.

I think you hit the nail on the head, these forms of election rigging
are dead and gone for one simple reason, numbers.

Walking around paying people to vote one way or another might have
worked during the high point of Tammany Hall (1886 or so) when the
population of NYC was hovering around 1.5 million but by the time zayde
was helping out people with "cab fare" the population had grown to
around 7.5 million. I don't remember exactly but at that time,
mid-1960's, a precinct was around 2,500 to 3,000 voters. By the
mid-1960's NYC was a solid democratic city and I'm sure that most of the
people who got "cab fare" would have voted democratic anyway, it was the
party thanking guys for being loyal. Zayde never talked to more than 30
or 40 people before heading to his favorite bar to nurse a beer, talking
politics and the Yankees with the bartender, barely 1% of the precinct.

The elephant in the room that none of these people jumping up and down
about rigged elections ever talk about is how many ballots would have to
be stolen and/or changed to sway an election one way or another. That
number is so large and so blatant that election officials would notice
and put a stop to it. The people who run elections in this country have
all heard the stories of election fraud in NYC and Chicago (an
oft-repeated joke in Chicago; "Cook county where the dead vote often and
in alphabetical order") and have put in-place safeguards to catch
efforts. What voter fraud that has happened in the last few elections
was on the order 20 or 30 cases out of millions of votes cast and most
times its some idiot using his dead mothers mail-in ballot.

If one is going to get wound up about rigged elections try focusing on
the electronic voting machines. The software that run those machine is
propriety and no one outside of those companies has ever seen the source
code let alone had a chance to analyze it. Only the executive of these
companies know what sort of fuckery is going on in the code.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch            | Another day closer |
jgrosch at MooseRiver.com  | to Redwood Heaven  | Berkeley, Ca.