[conspire] Stolen election narratives, CA edition

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Sep 19 16:49:37 PDT 2021

On 9/19/21 23:20, Rick Moen wrote:

> 1.  Paying people for their votes.  In the strictest sense, this cannot
> be prevented, period.  If people are willing to be bribed for their
> votes, that will happen.  Ruben's point about that, though, to condense
> down what he said, is that the secret ballot prevents the vote-buyer
> from _enforcing_ the purchase.

> Again, let's not ignore this risk-factor.  It's real.  Letting people
> fill out ballots anywhere at all makes it easier for a Tammany Hall-style

> 2.  Remote voting options also make possible voter coercion.  There are
> many horror stories, in particular, of domineering husbands insisting on

> 4.  Speaking of things that aren't going to happen, banning the
> handicapped and frail from being accompanied by helpers into the voting
> booth is another non-starter.

> 5.  But my final point to Ruben was:  People have small digital cameras,
> these days, often ones in their pockets that also make telephone calls.

> On a couple of other occasions, Ruben was terribly worked up over
> "ballot harvesting", telling me that it's a terribly corrupt practice

Ruben's concerns are real ones but things don't have to be perfect to
work, you just have to reach a reasonable, context aware compromise.

Here in Europe it's very common to stroll around with your ID and it is
pretty easy to get all you need to vote and eg. generally you don't have
to register.

Here in Italy you have to show up with your ID and a "voting card"
that's valid for several elections (administrative, national parliament,
referendum). This card is generally sent to you by mail every time you
change your address. You've to vote alone in a booth by paper.

But people living abroad can vote by mail and people with disabilities
can be accompanied provided they have some medical certification.

To make stuff more interesting here in Italy we have a long tradition of
paying/blackmailing people for their votes (organized crime).

We even invented a way to use candidate preferences to recognize voters.
Votes can be considered null if there is suspicion the vote was "marked".
With that excuse preferences have been forbidden in some elections
leaving to the parties the choice of who was going to be elected.

Cameras are forbidden at the voting booth.

But preventing election frauds is just one of the many things that make
an election democratic (and functional) and may not even be the most
important.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net