[conspire] (forw) [Felton LUG] Positively, absolutely, for-sure shutdown: July 1, 2022

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 16 16:34:54 PDT 2021

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:34:14 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: felton-lug at googlegroups.com
Subject: [Felton LUG] Positively, absolutely, for-sure shutdown: July 1, 2022

You know what I'm going to miss, when T-Mobile finally retires
its 2G/3G mobile telephone service to repurpose transmitter bandwidth
for 5G?  I'm going to miss all the helpful people confidently telling me
my 2005 Motorola RAZRv3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Razr)
(vendor-unlocked, GSM quad-band) clamshell flip phone is about to
for-sure, absolutely, tomorrow-if-not-sooner become a useless doorstop.

I'll miss it, because that's been amusing for an entire decade.

At the most recent FeltonLUG meeting, I was confidently told that
T-Mobile's shutdown would absolutely, for-sure occur in October 2021.

Oh noes!

And I said then, could happen.  Farewell, tiny investment amortized over
a decade-plus service life!  {sob!}

There's a spare family 'phone I'll deploy whenever that happens, while a
$200 no-proprietary-bushwah PinePhone
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PinePhone) wings its way to me.  And
meanwhile, I have a reliable best-of-breed flip phone that cost $20 off
eBay, and can laugh at all you guys with your security-Swiss-cheesed,
obsolete-in-3-years $1000 wonders.

After hearing the absolutely, for-sure October prognostication, I
checked reasonably-sane online sources:  Some were saying T-Mobile
promised 2022-01-01.  Others said they got pushback and backed off to
2022-07-01.  Some said 2022-04-01.

The latest, as of today
(https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mobile-3g-network-shutdown-date-official-firm_id135110)
is announcement of a finally, for-sure, absolutely-true-this-time
shutdown date of 2022-07-01.  Subject to change, of course.

$20 phone, suckers.  Tiny attack surface, ultra-reliable, long battery
life, superb audio quality -- and I have a spare in my kitchen drawer,
that also cost $20.

Boy, am I going to miss this entertainment.

Meantime, thank you, Motorola Mobility, Inc. (bought and dissolved by Google
in 2011, strip-mined for patents, and its remains sold off to Lenovo
in 2014, https://martech.org/real-reason-google-sold-motorola-lenovo/),
for a wonderful, satisfying, and cost-effective product.  I miss you guys.