[conspire] (forw) [sf-lug] Dual boot (was: pair of own suggestion)

Leo yaconsult at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 22:41:12 PDT 2021

I used to dual-boot.  And then I found a better solution - multiple OS
drives.

But why dual-boot?  For me, video gaming is the main reason.  Modern games
use all the hardware resources available and so virtual machines or other
kinds of emulation are less than ideal.  For the same reason, I use the
proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers as repackaged and provided for Fedora
by RPM Forge.  The difference in performance compared to the open source
drivers is significant.

Dual-booting, when I did it, was fine 90% of the time.  But when the system
doesn't boot after a kernel update, you have the fun of learning all those
low level grub commands and how the devices on your system are addressed
from the BIOS.  After going through this a few times, I took a bunch of
notes that I could use whenever it became necessary for each of my
systems.  While people interested in system administration could get things
working again, this type of bootloader/MBR/GPT/grub repair might be
difficult for many linux end-users.

And then I found the solution that works best for me.  A six-button SATA
switch I got from Amazon for $25.  It fits in a CD drive slot in the front
of the computer case and it allows me to power individual drives up and
down at will.  When a drive is powered on, the computer sees it and when it
is powered off, the computer doesn't know that it's there.  Most of the
time, the linux SSD is powered on and booted from.  When I want to play
some games that don't work well on linux, I just power off the computer,
switch off the linux SSD, switch on the windows SSD, and hit the power
switch.  Each drive has only the bootloader installed by the operating
system that lives on it.

The SATA switch also allows me to save wear and tear on the non-system
spinning rust drives by keeping them powered off until/unless they are
actually needed.

Many higher-end gaming laptops have room for two NVME drives and in this
case I install linux on one drive and Windows on the other and use the BIOS
hotkey to select the boot device when powering on whenever I want to boot
the Windows drive.  This BIOS boot device selection method could also be
used on desktops in place of the SATA switch with the possible disadvantage
that most linux distributions will add a boot entry for any other bootable
drives it sees when updating the kernel or grub making the grub
configuration slightly more complicated.

Leo