[conspire] (forw) [sf-lug] Dual boot (was: pair of own suggestion)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Oct 13 15:13:20 PDT 2021

On 10/12/21 16:50, Rick Moen wrote:

> This is true.   _But_ reasonably modern computers have ample RAM
> (the usual limiting factor) to also run a hypervisor layer and a
> Linux distro _provided_ one eschews bloatware (***COUGH*** GNOME3,
> KDE Plasma, Unity, Cinnamon ***COUGH***).

And there are new options available. Recent releases of Microsoft
Windows have the somewhat confusingly-named "Windows Subsystem for
Linux" which gives users of those Windows systems access to a fairly
complete Linux install that has your existing files available.

If someone just wants to run programming tools that are available for
Linux, or try out Linux, that might be the way to go. They can always
check their programming project into version control and check it out on
a bare metal Linux system later.

(the main dual-boot advantage I can think of is if someone dual-boots
their gaming/development system, to break the habit of starting a
time-sucking gaming session by "playing 1 quick game while `make && make
test` is running"...but that's about deliberately making things less
convenient)