[conspire] Cloudflare points finger at Facebook's self own

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Oct 4 16:53:12 PDT 2021

https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

They stopped announcing their BGP routes.

"A BGP UPDATE message informs a router of any changes you’ve made to a prefix advertisement or entirely withdraws the prefix. We can clearly see this in the number of updates we received from Facebook when checking our time-series BGP database. Normally this chart is fairly quiet: Facebook doesn’t make a lot of changes to its network minute to minute."

and

"If we split this view by routes announcements and withdrawals, we get an even better idea of what happened. Routes were withdrawn, Facebook’s DNS servers went offline, and one minute after the problem occurred, Cloudflare engineers were in a room wondering why 1.1.1.1 couldn’t resolve facebook.com and worrying that it was somehow a fault with our systems.

"With those withdrawals, Facebook and its sites had effectively disconnected themselves from the Internet."

--
  Deirdre Saoirse Moen
  deirdre at deirdre.net