[conspire] (forw) [offlist] Pandemic stats (was: dvlug.org reboot)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 15 13:12:04 PST 2021

Side-discussion in e-mail from a Diablo Vally Linux User Group remark.
My correspondent is in eastern Contra Costa County, and seemed a bit
morose about the pandemic.

On the matter of why/how the Spanish Flu, an influenza A(H1N1 variant,
probably of avian origin, burned itself out and never had a fifth wave:
Nobody's completely sure -- a reminder of how much we don't know.
There's _lots_ of fascinating stuff from that era.  My personal
favourite is that doctors found nothing else that would alleviate
symptoms except newly discovered aspirin, which the US Navy bought in
massive amounts in fall 1918 to help fight off the 2nd wave, considering
it a "miracle drug" to alleviate suffering, and gave high doses -- which
then killed many patients, because high doses of aspirin (8.0–31.2
gm/day being administered) produces hyperventilation in 1/3 of
recipients and pulmonary edema in 3% -- thus killing patients already
having a hard time from a respiratory virus.

The leading theory about cessation of Spanish flu is the obvious one,
that it burned out because it had already killed the vulnerable and that
enough of the surviving popultion had disease-conferred immunity, thus
lowering R-eff way below 1.0.  But nobody is certain.

A non-mutually-exclusive hypothesis is that the virus mutated to far
less virulent strains, and its distant progeny are still with us as
seasonal H1N1 flu.  Because, this is what "novel" viruses do.  This was
a plot point in Michael Crichton's novel _The Andromeda Strain_:
Scientist Jeremy Stone pointed out that disease pathogens are poorly
adapted wannabe symbiotes; that an organism that kills its host loses
its home and vehicle for reproduction, and will be outcompeted by a
variant that is more benign.

Deirdre has made a _very_ interesting point that severe COVID-19 is
actually not a disease of the respiratory system, but rather of the
vascular endothelium, the crucial tissue layer lining the insides of
arteries, veins, and microvessels.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7470753/ That is what makes
the severe disease so horrifying in its effects, and unique in human
history.  However, the pathogen in _other_ ways is subject to the same
disease dynamics as other troublesome viruses.