[conspire] Taxonomy of SSD sticks for M.2 sockets

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 25 12:52:58 PDT 2021

Important additional note.  For example, a different poster cited where,
for $64.99 (same limited sale duration and terms), which is only
trivially more given the performance difference, you can get a WDC drive
of the same capacity that is NVMe-type instead of low-end SATA.
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-500gb/p/N82E16820250109

I note that the above NVMe-type WDC stick still relies on the same,
limited-life 3D TLC NAND storage chips, which personally I would avoid.

NVMe is kind-of an elaboration on PCIe for connecting SSDs.
https://www.howtogeek.com/657972/nvme-vs.-sata-which-ssd-technology-is-faster/
Note that the motherboard's M.2 socket must be NVMe-compatible.
In that sense, the alternative of SATA 3.0 (aka SATA III) is the least
common denominator.