[conspire] Explainshell

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue May 18 16:27:48 PDT 2021

> From: "Deirdre Saoirse Moen" <deirdre at deirdre.net>
> Subject: [conspire] Explainshell
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:58:21 -0700

> If you haven't seen it, explainshell takes a command-line syntax and
> breaks it into the component parts, explaining what each one does,
> including pipes and redirects.
>
> Quite cool.
>
> https://explainshell.com

Yes, rather impressive.  I thought I'd give it something semi-random-ish,
grabbed most recent from my shell history that had a for in it:

(for NS in $(dig +short linuxmafia.com. NS); do for IP in $(dig +short
"$NS" A "$NS" AAAA); do dig @"$IP" +noall +answer +norecurse
linuxmafia.com. SOA | sed -e 's/$/ '" @$NS $IP"/; done; done)

Fed it that and it handled it rather impressively, e.g. even going so far
as to not only call out dig, but parse its options and provide details
on what those options do.  Not quite everything, but pretty
impressive.