[conspire] June 15th reopening in California

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Jun 18 09:25:53 PDT 2021

 Yesterday I went to 3 stores.  Two had removed the mask required sign from the door.  In one store some employees and customers were masked.
Since it was very hot, I decided to treat myself to the ice cream store next door.  Please wear mask inside the store. Then go outside to eat.

    On Friday, June 18, 2021, 02:51:40 AM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 I wrote:

> Months ago, Gov. Newsom announced that all _statewide_ capacity and social
> distancing restrictions would go away on June 15th (tomorrow).  To my
> surprise, he hasn't gotten cold feet on that policy goal (but CalOSHA
> recently put its oar in).  [...]
> o  Separately from the above, CalOSHA will require employers statewide
>    to require employees to wear face coverings for at least the next two
>    weeks.  (Policy will be reviewed, then.)

Update:  CalOSHA reviewed it sooner -- and jettisoned nearly everything.
They ruled yesterday that:

1.  Fully vaccinated workers will no longer need to wear face coverings
in the workplace (except in locations like mass transit and classrooms,
where they are required for everyone, or in the event of outbreaks).
Employees may either show evidence of vaccination or just self-report.
Emplyers will keep track of which employees self-reported.  The mask
mandate for unvaccinated workers will remain in effect.

2.  However, individual employers are free to require that _all_ of
their employees go masked, if the employer wishes.  Likewise, any
employee may mask without reprisal.

3.  Physical distancing will no longer be required in the workplace
(except during major outbreaks, for certain workers).

Normally, this regulation change would have awaited a 10-day legal
review, but Gov. Newsom waived that requirement, so it'll go into effect
immediately upon filing with the Secretary of Stae (probably today).