[conspire] Is math instruction racist?

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Jul 12 10:12:27 PDT 2021

 Deirdre,
Thank you for detailed posting about teaching math.
When my children needed help with their homework, I could almost always think of a solution that was mathematically valid, but was not what the text book used.
I was a bit annoyed with the implication that there was only one acceptable method.  There are very few, if any, math problems that can be solved by exactly one method. In fact, important discoveries have been made when two methods give answers that looked to be different, but upon further work can be shown to be equivalent.
In my math classes, it was about the math, with very limited references to the people.  There must have been people named Euclid, Euler or Fourier because those names are on equations or methods.  None of my text books had a picture or any biographical info.
I watched enough of the Vedic multiplication, to agree that it is correct.  Since I don’t often need to multiply large numbers by hand, it isn’t obvious that it will be an efficient use of my time to learn that technique.
Once I read a book about calculating.  It suggested doing addition starting with the most significant digit.
My wife went to an all girls high school.  She could not read as fast as most people, but she did have 100% comprehension of what she did read.  When she took one of the standard college application tests her reading score was lower then her math score.  She got called into the counselors office because “girls are supposed to be better at reading than math.”
This was before it was common to have any instruction in test taking.  So the naïve method was to read the whole section and then go to the questions on the next page and try to remember what you had read.  Now everyone is taught that the questions are in the order of the reading section.  Start with the first question and then read into the assignment until you find the answer.  Then look at the next question.
I suspect the elephant in the room is that many people choose to teach math, not because they love math, but because they love counting their own coins.
Paul