[conspire] Chronyd, another NTP daemon

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue Jul 6 12:51:39 PDT 2021

Some of you already know about chronyd, but I missed the memo. Basically: an NTP implementation that doesn't require a (stable) live outside network and synchronizes faster in the case of larger time differences.

A couple specific things I thought were interesting:

* Better response to rapid changes in the clock frequency, which is useful for virtual machines that have unstable clocks or for power-saving technologies that don’t keep the clock frequency constant.
* Better stability when dealing with temporary asymmetric delays, for example when the link is saturated by a large download.

So it seems like it'd be a better fit for laptops, for example, or when on dodgy networks.

https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-chrony-vs-ntp-differences-between-ntpd-and-chronyd/

More detailed comparison here:

https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html

(Found out about it because of $DAY_JOBBE.)

--
  Deirdre Saoirse Moen
  deirdre at deirdre.net