[conspire] (forw) Re: Vulnerability Report (DMARC RECORD)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 1 15:41:43 PDT 2021

Correspondent is one of many white-hat freelance security researchers,
checking systems for site vulnerabiities and hoping to receive bug
bounties for helping the site spot and correct security problems.

This correspondent seemingly didn't _actually_ check ability to forge
mail purporting to come from linuxmafia.com, but rather relied on the
test CGI at https://mxtoolbox.com/DMARC.aspx -- a CGI that doesn't
actually test ability to send forged mail, only check a site's DMARC
record for errors.

Contrary to the correspondent's claim, linuxmafia.com's DNS _does_
publish a DMARC record -- one that is deliberately non-compliant with
Yahoo's DMARC specification, as a public gesture of disapproval of DMARC
as a whole.  I politely explain this, in my response (below).

----- Forwarded message from ethical.security.researcher at inbox.eu -----