[conspire] Wondering about reasons to keep landline phone now that wonderful rawbandwidth's DSL is no longer available at my location.

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:02:22 PST 2021

Hi All,

I was wondering about reasons to keep my landline phone ($45/month for
local access only) now that the wonderful rawbandwidth DSL service provided
for many years by Mike Durkin is no longer available at my location. Has
VoIP become reliable enough (safe enough) to depend on these days?

The only 200 megabit/s internet access I can purchase at my location is via
Comcast, as far as I know (for my purposes around 3 megabits/s is
sufficient, but I'm reluctant to trust AT&T's DSL service).

I tried Comcast's VoIP service for a month (during the trial period) but it
had multiple outages and abysmal service so I discontinued it.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable VoIP service that
preferably doesn't require leasing any additional hardware and could
perhaps use a personally-owned Netgear C7100V "nighthawk" AC1900 cable
modem router (the model might be "CV100V" as that was what was in the
documentation, but "C7100V" is what appears in Netgear's web interface for
the cable modem router).

Thanks,
Peter.