[conspire] Something hilarious happened in Internet Security???

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Jan 20 02:00:18 PST 2021

On 19Jan2021 04:04pm (-0800), Rick Moen wrote:
> One of the last stops was a low-key one that really left an impression:
> We stopped in the small Secret Service post in the basement, and our
> guide let us leaf briefly through the day's security-incidents
> clipboard.  It was by then not even noon, and there were dozens of terse
> sheets about raving loons who had breached the White House security
> perimeter, usually by hopping the fence and ambling towards the mansion
> before being tackled and taken off for psychiatric evaluation.  The
> White House, you see, is a permanent magnet for the insane.
>
> Supply your own punch line.

I remember you telling me this story some time around 1997 or so, and in my head I always imagined a dot-matrix printer printing a syslog-style message for each tripped alarm as another dedicated warm body bounced off of the security apparatus.

To this day I've imagined it like a sort of human-scale bug zapper: *GNNNERRRRK-CHK'T* "Wow John, that was a big'un this time!"