[conspire] Mysterious freeze-ups (was: Happy New Preferred Application!)

rogerchrisman at gmail.com rogerchrisman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:47:16 PST 2021

Roger's Dell XPS tower + 27 inch 2560x1440 display
 o Xubuntu 20.04 (updated again today)
 o dual boot with Win10 which I use mostly and has not been freezing
 o two keyboards

System details
-----------------------
$ uname -a
Linux roger-XPS-8700 5.4.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP
 Wed Dec 9 08:16:25 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107
 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)

Settings > Display
2560x1440 60Hz

Settings > Additional Drivers
Using recommended nvidia-driver-460

$ modinfo nvidia | grep ^version:
version:        460.32.03

Nvidia.com (I drilled into Linux drivers) release date for driver v. 460.32
 is Jan 07, 2021
 So hopefully this driver has the security patches Rick mentioned.

Two keyboards
 Dell USB keyboard
 Datahand keyboard (connected via PS/2 to USB adapter)
--------------------------

*Freeze* happened again soon after restarting with that new Nvidia driver.
Shucks.

Caps-lock LED on my regular keyboard did not light up when I hit
caps-lock there during the freeze.

Caps-lock LED on my Datahand keyboard does light up during the freeze,
but maybe Datahand is weird that way. It is self aware or something.

Why two keyboards at once? Datahand happened to me like 20 years ago
and now I don't know how to type on anything else, unfortunately. I
use the regular keyboard to control my Minecraft avatar. I just plug
both the Datahand and the regular keyboard into separate USB ports.
Works fine on Win10. Maybe not so fine on Linux?

To eliminate the two keyboad factor from the freeze puzzle I have
unplugged the regular keyboard from the USB ports for now.

So far no more freeze. So far...

Let's see how the evening gets on without the regular keyboard.

Any idea if having two keyboards connected to my computer via USB at
the same time could actually cause system freeze up?

Thanks you guys for your interest and tips!

Roger         *a navel orange is seedless; that's why it's got a navel*
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)#Navel_oranges