[conspire] missing rDNS for (intentionally missing) IPv6

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 25 17:13:15 PST 2021

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> One of the storied advantages of IPv6, back when it still seemed
> fresh, was that autoconfiguration did not require special DHCP daemons
> polling the network: the kernel could autoconfigure IPv6 itself!
>
> These days that seems less a feature and more a vulnerability, but I
> ran across it on my own virtual server.

Roger that.  I'll spare everyone my rant (peppered with theological and
biological references) about unexpected automagical networking.  Suffice
to say, I consider wholly admirable Debian's network config files from
which you can picture the ifconfig and route (old school) or ip addr and
ip route (new school) incantations resulted during boot, based on them.

And, basically, if I'd _wanted_ automagic networking, I'd have enabled it.
Or so I naively thought.

This thing makes me think the Frankenstein story's villagers making
reflexive recourse to pitchforks and torches was also an excellent model
for response to whichever wise guy thought "I know!  Let's make IPv6
autoconfiguring by default.  What could possibly go wrong?"