[conspire] (forw) The "Fry's Experience" is gone

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 24 08:54:45 PST 2021

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> I have no particular fondness for the services the stores offered
> themselves, but I did like that you could get to the Concord branch by
> BART.  All the others were too far away from normal human transport
> systems to be even remotely accessible.

True with a couple of exceptions.  The Palo Alto and Sunnyvale ones were
within walking distance of CalTrain staions, if you stretch the concept
of normal human transport just slightly to include a heavy-rail commuter
train system straight out of the 1950s with a somewhat iffy frequency of
service.

Otherwise, I suspect their boonies locations reflected their need to
find a huge piece of cheap land with not only a hulking warehouse store
but also an enormous parking lot around it.  What one might call
Suburban Costco Syndrome.