[conspire] "Time zones exist to make programmers' lives miserable" ...

Fred Brockman fbrock at att.net
Tue Feb 16 00:13:58 PST 2021

Question from the peanut gallery:

I understand there are about a gazillion different time zones in the
world, offset by minutes or hours not to mention seasonal shifts.

Is there such a thing as simple generic time zones, i.e., from GMT
there are 24 zones incrementing by an hour each time going around the
world? Do these zones have generic names?

I'm guessing from the Americas/Ottawa discussion it would be northern
hemisphere centric and geographically based names. No doubt something
like PST, MST, CST, EST would not have any kind  of chance.

Just thinking a generic name would give you a vague clue about which
temporal ballpark you're in for those of us *not* trying to be there
promptly at 5:00 PM.