[conspire] An instance of what we're dealing with here

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Feb 5 02:28:42 PST 2021

On 04Feb2021 09:15pm (-0800), Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> Video of…well, a doctor who’s obviously dealing with COVID deniers.
>
> https://twitter.com/tariqjenner/status/1354147804722192385

It's become something of a common occurrence for ratlickers to protest outside the larger NHS trusts and hospital sites.  I don't think there are any in great numbers at Ealing Hospital (where I am, very near the area where they're doing the extra tests to measure the "South African" mutation).

We are well and truly in the middle of "Big Lie" politics, where people take a story that is somewhere between farce and tragedy and cling to it as an article of personal identity.  "COVID is a myth", "Bicycle lanes cause pollution", etc.  It doesn't matter what the point is so long as you feel a sense of kinship and thrilling rebellion by clinging to it in a large group.  "The apocalypse will come when the BATF raid Waco", "There's a spaceship behind Hale-Bopp..."

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the current UK government, where the stance has flipped egregiously minute-by-minute "We cannot have a border in the Irish Sea!", "We MUST have a border in the Irish Sea!", "Brexit means Sovereignty, sunlit uplands and £350,000,000 per week for the UK!", "Scottish Sovereignty would make them even poorer than Brexit has!"

It's got to the point where the BBC have finally got off their thumbs and produced a plain-spoken explanation of the Brexit/Northern Ireland situation that finally summarises most of the contradictions:

	https://twitter.com/tjbourne/status/1357364671020490753

I recommend watching it a few times, as each step contradicts at least ⅔ of the others in the story.  Absolute national self-sabotage, no matter where you stood before it all began.