[conspire] OOP

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Sep 27 11:52:39 PDT 2020

On 9/27/20 3:35 PM, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On 27Sep2020 01:52pm (+0200), Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>> OOP didn't go across a lot of redefinition of what OO actually means, it
>> went just through different cults.
>> That's not just peculiar of OOP.
>>
>> To get popular techniques have to be sold. And in every sale there are lies
>> and a mystifications.
>
> I think it achieved a certain kind of orthodoxy in the 90s that defined it as a total commitment to class hierarchy and operator overloading.

I got the point and I completely agree. I'm just saying it is not
peculiar to inheritance vs. composition.

Many times things get pushed too far because people have to sell
something: their consulting gig, build up a community...

People following a cult are easier to manage but they don't think.

Writing software requires managing and paying people.

It's no surprise that successful techniques are built into cults.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net