[conspire] Dysautonomia again was Re: (forw) The fastest vaccine development ever

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 21 16:45:39 PDT 2020

Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> What got me about the docs mailing list was one item Rick had
> forwarded (with my permission): the one I'd written about dysautonomia
> in long covid. Now, had I intended that from the outset for that to be
> forwarded, I'd have structured it somewhat differently, but I knew
> Ruben had left conspire.
[...]
> At that point, one of the docs regulars, the only one I know well
> enough to have taken an instant dislike to (and one of the perhaps
> half a dozen people in thirty years I’ve asked not to email me),
> responds to the effect that they’re imagining their symptoms.

This would be the person identifying herself only as 'aviva', who
doesn't hesitate to try to tell others -- belligerantly -- they should
defer to her extremely vaguely described professional authority, but
declines to ever give a name or professional credentials or even
her academic background.  E.g., on May 15th, I cited on 'Docs' an
article[1] by epidemiologist Peter Piot, discoverer of the Ebola virus
(who has then recently almost died from COVID-19) about (among other
things) worrisome viral involvement in some patients' hearts and
kidneys, suggesting that chronic conditions may ensue:

  Quoting aviva via Docs (docs at mrbrklyn.com):

  > We don't see long term renal damage so maybe he is not a good source of
  > information.  We are losing diabetic patients everywhere.

  I'm curious how this determination is being made that the renal damage
  is not long-term, and who is saying so, and where.  Can you point me to
  any scientific writings that lay this out?  Thanks.

  It's a bit frustrating looking for good writings on this matter.
  Mostly what one finds is lay articles like these that claim there is
  often long-term renal damage but have no footnotes/references, only
  anecdata:
  https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200513/complications-on-the-road-to-recovery-after-covid
  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52506669

Nope, no pointers to writings for me, though:  She haughtily replied
that she's too busy with her oddly unspecified duties, and that I simply
need to take her word for it that there's no rational grounds for
concern that some patients may emerge from acute COVID-19 with chronic
kidney or heart problems.  Because reasons.

Anyway, this is the same 'aviva' who recently derisively dismissed
Deirdre's references to third-party articles suggesting dysautonomia in
long COVID-19, with no sign of having even looked at those articles.
So, at least she's consistent.

[1] https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/finally-virus-got-me-scientist-who-fought-ebola-and-hiv-reflects-facing-death-covid-19