[conspire] (forw) Re: [skeptic] Now that's what I call win-win

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 19 16:35:14 PDT 2020

Forwarding because of the bit about Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts, and the
bits about Jitsi Meet and Big Blue Button.  (For the record, what Kevin
France is responding to is alleged Attorney General Bill Barr's
obviously humbug and toothless threat to get protestors in American
cities Federally indicted for 'seditious conspiracy' under a basically
never-used McCarthy Era law, 18 U.S. Code § 2384, against trying to
violently overthrow the US government.)

The observations about New Zealand tie into matters on Ruben Safir's
'docs' mailing list, which he ludicrously promotes as "This mailing is
for professional discussions on the Wuhan(covid)19 SARS disease by
medical professionals and selected invited guests."  I observed from the
beginnings of that mailing list in May that there appear to be -=zero=-
medical professionals participating by any reasonable and relevant
meaning of that term.  It appears there are some subscribers working in
very vaguely related fields (as with Ruben being a pharmacist), but it's
essentially yet another Dunning-Kruger hothouse, comprising cranky
NYC-area ideologues convinced, e.g., that face masks are an Antifa Soros
Commie Bengazi conspiracy against Our Freedumbs.

I popped in there, and several of the resident lunatics including Ruben
were -- upon noting the renewed August outbreak in New Zealand of
(eventually) 58 new cases in a nation of 5 million (bringing total
_cumulative_ cases to 1,811 including 25 deaths) -- pretended as if I'd
said it couldn't happen.

And that is of course not only _not_ what I said, but the opposite of
what I said.  My commentary was that, yes, a renewed outbreak is
possible at any time from unexpected sources or a violation of
quarantine, but under PM Ardern's leadership the national response has
been _competent and effective_, such that life returned completely to
normal after the initial outbreak had been defeated through doing the
totally obvious: isolation, contact-tracing, face masks, testing, and
quarantining for two weeks all arrivals without exception.  NZ actually
has everything open, including public sports events, and LUGs (to my
knowledge) actually never ceased holding in-person meetings -- as they
didn't need to.

And the damage that's happened from the renewed (August) outbreak has
been limited to 58 new cases, and the temporary lockdown (again) of
Auckland.  Medical detectives are investigating the cause:  It's
suspected that it was a failure of procedure at border facilities.
(This is a new virus strain, not seen in NZ before August.)

Of course, my implied comparison was to the Toddler-in-Chief's
comprehensive and historic failure, held alongside PM Ardern and staff's
competence and effectiveness.

USA:  200,000 deaths (and counting), 330 million population.
NZ:        25 deaths, 5 million population.

Using mortality as the metric (but remembering Rich and Deirdre's point
that it is _hardly_ the entire story), I make that to be national
leadership one hundred twenty-one times as effective as the Toddler's
gang.  Or, to put it a different way, if we'd been able to borrow Ardern
in February and send the Toddler back to Queens, we'd probably have had
1650 deaths rather than 200,000.

The so-called medical professionals on 'Docs' cannot even face this
truth honestly, and probably in the future I'm not only leaving my
subscription set to "nomail" (which I did a couple of months ago to
reduce the noise) but also ignore the thing completely.

Oh, and Ruben, having been the biggest practitioner of unauthorised
copying I know for long years, persists in his habit of lobbing many
people's writings without their knowledge or approval to his mailing
lists, and, e.g., has lobbed many Conspire authors' postings over to
Docs so that his bunch of semi-literate groupies (and Ruben himself) can
complain about and misrepresent them behind the authors' backs.  This is
scummy behaviour in my opinion, so frankly I think it's just as well
that he unsubscribed from Conspire (for the second time in a row) in a
fit of pique about a month ago.

----- Forwarded message from Kevin France <kevinfrance0a at gmail.com> -----