[conspire] deaths from COVID

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Sep 17 10:39:21 PDT 2020

> On Sep 11, 2020, at 04:21, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
>
> 	Diabetes as a consequence of COVID-19
> 	https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-diabetes-consequence-covid-.html <https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-diabetes-consequence-covid-.html>

IMHO, diabetes isn’t scary enough for most people because most people know people who live with it.

When I describe the following two COVID-related papers to people, they usually say, “holy shit” (even the people who don’t swear!):

Autoimmune Encephalitis Presenting with Acute Excited Catatonia in a 40-Year-Old Male Patient with Covid-19
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.23.20160770v1

COVID-19–associated Acute Hemorrhagic Necrotizing Encephalopathy
https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020201187

I basically stopped reading edge case papers at that point because nothing was going to top that last one.

> On Sep 11, 2020, at 06:05, Nick Moffitt <nick at zork.net> wrote:
>
> A FOAF just told a group of us that she had exactly the same situation, also in West London, but now—surprise!—she has COVID-induced glaucoma!

I don’t normally get flus either. What’s really interesting about eyes (and brains and testes and ovaries) is that they’re immune privileged areas where even RNA viruses can exist in infectious form for quite a long time as I’m sure Rich could tell you. Famously, ebola can remain infectious in semen for *years*.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ebola-virus-can-last-in-semen-for-565-days/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-private-place-where-hiv-zika-and-ebola-hide/

Deirdre