[conspire] Ballot Analysis and the 7/8 Clause

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 28 01:04:30 PDT 2020

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Part of the problem with #22 and the discussion of
> independentcontractors in general, is there are at least 3 elephants
> in the room, and each sees independent contractors as a threat to
> its interest.
>
> 1. There are people concerned about tax collection. They believe that
> individuals can not be trusted to report their income and make the
> estimated payments.  They think it is necessary to have employers who
> send the tax moneys to the government so people are forced to file a
> return to get a refund of their money.
>
> 2. EDD wants to maintain its fiefdom. If people are independent
> contractors, then EDD doesn’t get a piece of the action.  (As I said in
> a previous email, an independent contractor needs to get a higher rate
> than an employee to cover many things including what to live on while
> finding the next gig.

> 3. Unions organizers know that people who are independent contractors
> will be almost impossible to get to join a union.

Yes, quite.  Although it's more than a stretch to imagine California EDD
as a mover and shaker in statewide electoral politics.  (In my former
profession as a staff accountant, I had a fair amount to do with them,
and, man, they are nowheresville in state power politics, which is as
things should be.)

Heh, through utterly meaningless but nonetheless compelling serendipity,
I just got through including the phrase "elephant in the room" in my
revised "RM partisan analysis" comments about Prop. 22.  (I'm now
calling the page "completed" a second time, having finally slogged
through the information resources I marshalled for readers'
delectation.)

For the masochistic^W interested, these ones have substantively new or
expanded comments:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/election-2020-11-03.html#prop14
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/election-2020-11-03.html#prop15
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/election-2020-11-03.html#prop16
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/election-2020-11-03.html#prop17
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/election-2020-11-03.html#prop22

The only eyebrow-raiser in my additions that semi-competes with the
earlier "7/8 Clause" revelation (about Prop. 22) is that Prop. 14 (the
stem-cell one) has one _like_ that but not quite as ballsy -- a
supermajority of 70% in both Legislature houses declared required for
any subsequent revision to California Institute of Regenerative
Medicine's funding.  Oh, and I supplement that with mentioning that
CIRM's Board of Directors has, over the past 15+ years, given money
grants in conflict of personal interest more frequently than not.

And, well, screw all of _that_, too.

Anyway, I'm finally making out my _own_ ballot, to be hand-delivered to
San Mateo County Elections Office tomorrow (Wednesday).

--
Cheers,                           "2020 is pulling out more plot devices than
Rick Moen                         a TV series on the brink of being canceled."