[conspire] Please trim quoted text (was: Ballot Analysis and the 7/8 Clause)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 27 14:41:05 PDT 2020

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  For the benefit of others who may have tuned into the middle of this
>  thread,

[snip other comments that I appreciate and hope to note in a separate
response]

Hey, Paul.  Just a brief admin-type note:

I had to approve this posting of yours manually because it was _way_
over the size limit for Conspire.  And the reason _that_ happened was
that (first) I blabbed quite a lot in my earlier post, and then you
responded in GMail-default fashion where Gmail let you insert your
new comments up-top but then included the _entire prior thread_
underneath that.

Although I have nothing polite to say about that quotation style
generally, and eschew it, it's not your fault it exists and is a default
in GMail and many similar user mail systems.

That's _not_ the point.

The point is, unfortunately, that quoting style imposes on the user the
need to manually trim what is quoted, especially on mailing lists that
invariably have maximum-message-size hard limits.

Accordingly, it would be appreciated and also in your interest to please
manually whack off GMail's excessive and irresponsible quoting,
especially when you respond to an already windy posting like mine.
Thanks.